This post is also available in: Norsk bokmål (Norwegian Bokmål) Deutsch (German)

We’ve spent the last days moving to the new API. We managed to finish the move with just a few hours remaining of 2018.

The new API do give us some new opportunities, but it comes at a high cost.

We are sorry for the inconveniences caused by the limitations in the new API. We are doing what we can to report issues to Geocaching HQ, but that is sadly all we can do.

We’ve changed a lot in this process, and we might have left some (unintentional) bugs. Please help us by letting us know if you spot any 🙂

Known issues/workarounds

General slowness

The new API is considerably slower than the old. And you will notice that when importing/exporting from/to lists and pocker queries.

The import can take as much as 20 times longer than it used to.

Sending data from GSAK to is still as quick as before, so that is a possible workaround if you have the caches available there.

Lists with 50 or less waypoints should be about as fast as before.

No sorting in bookmark lists

The new API does not respect your custom cache names. So if you’ve used the name to sort your bookmark lists, you will have to import through the Cachetur Assistant to preserve the order of the caches.

Problems with found log fetching

The new API is missing some data, and the complete lack of information about lab caches (the old one gave us just what we needed) makes it very hard to get the correct amount of logs for anyone that have logged lab caches. So if you have logged any of them, or continue to log more, we can almost guarantee that will miss some of your found it logs.

The only workaround here, until we can (hopefully) get HQ to add back the missing information, is to send us a support request and tell us to manually input your lab cache count.

Due to the general slowness and limitations, the process will also be a lot slower than before.

This post is also available in: Norsk bokmål (Norwegian Bokmål) Deutsch (German)


thomfre er hovedutvikler og personen bak

1 Comment

Kittykatch · 1. January 2019 at 07:09

Great news on the move to the new API – must have taken a lot of work – thanks to all involved 🙂

Comments are closed.